Thursday 15 April 2010

The best blowdrys

Seems to have become Hair Week here at The Beauty Edit, not exactly planned, but lets just go with it shall we? 
I discovered the wonder of a salon blowdry when I'd got a new job at a magazine and suddenly had so many events to go to, my wardrobe couldn't keep up. Not being a sample size, raiding the fashion cupboard (the shady ploy of many a well-dressed editor) was not an option. But I soon realised that it didn't really matter what I wore as long as my hair looked good, saving me from many rushed last-minute outfit purchases. A great blowdry made me feel more polished and 'done' and made my haircolour look refreshed. I learnt how to last out a blowdry for a few days (the less products used to begin with, the better; don't get it wet or touch it too much; when it starts to get a bit lank go over with GHDs; the last resort, dry shampoo, by then it's time to wash it again!).  
Not every blowdry was a success; once a PR arranged the ultimate luxury for me, a stylist to come to my hotel room during the New York shows, what a treat. He got to work with the hot rollers and I came out looking the double of Karen from Will and Grace. Not exactly the  New York vibe I was hoping to channel! But I've never had a duff blowdry at Daniel Hersheson in London. Stylists there seem to instinctively understand what makes a look cool, and they never get too 'hairdressery'. 

So it's no wonder their Blow Dry Bars have been such a hit. Hershesons Blow Dry Bar in Topshop Oxford Circus is now a standalone salon and they've added three new looks to the menu (which all cost £22) - the Rick Rack Jack, a very editorial frizzed look; The Big and Brushed - bouncy with lots of movement; and The Marcel, a fabulous 40s wave. The only problem is deciding which to have.

Top to bottom: Rick Rack Jack, Marcel, Big and Brushed, Wavy Gravy, Super Straight, Classic, B52, Bardot.

4 comments:

  1. Love, love, love this post! Can't wait to get back to London and try out one of their Blow Drys!
    Think I will have to try a different one each week..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Braziliant! I can see you with a B52.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had my hair blow dried at the Topshop Hersheson salon a couple of times and love the blowdry 'menu'.

    Totally agree that amazing, blowdried hair beats tonnes of outfit effort, anyday (bad hair day kills any decent outfit in my experience)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blow drys are the best! One day we'll all be like Anna Wintour and have a blow dry every morning before work...

    ReplyDelete